Protect Your Sight as You Age
At Seema Eye Care we understand the importance of protecting your eyesight as you inevitably age. There are age-related eye problems that are common among our patients. Continue reading on to learn more about these and ways you can maintain your eyes.
It is important to be aware of common eye problems. Maybe you have gone your whole life not needing eyeglasses. Once you reach a certain age, your eyes may begin to depend on eyeglasses to help them see properly. Your eyes lose more flexibility as you age and this causes difficulty focusing. Other common problems are dry eye, glaucoma, detached retina, and cataracts. Regular exams with your optometrist will allow you early treatment.
Eye-healthy habits can protect your sight. The following are a few things to keep in mind to continue to take care of your eyesight.
- Stay Active. Having an active lifestyle promotes good health for the entire body, this includes your eyes. Studies have shown that those who live an active life have far less loss of vision as they age than those who live a sedentary life.
- Eat Healthy. The food that you eat can have a huge impact on reducing the risk of age-related eye problems. Foods such as carrots, blueberries, salmon, and bell peppers are full of important vitamins and nutrients that promote healthy eyes.
- Protect Your Eyes from UV Rays. Extended exposure to indirect sunlight can cause damage to the corneas. Wearing sunglasses with UV protection can keep your eyes safe.
- Stop Smoking. Smoking habits negatively affect your eyesight and overall health.
- Avoid Digital Eye Strain. If you are a student or work on a computer, then regular eye breaks are important in preventing eye strain.
- Schedule Regular Eye Exams. Visiting our clinic on a regular basis will allow for quick and effective treatments.