Dear Respected Patient
Please read this handout on the day you receive it, bring it to all of your appointments before and after surgery, and on the day of your eye surgery.
Please obtain all your eye drops (with the attached prescription) and artificial tears before the day of surgery. People who are prepared for surgery and who take part in their care enjoy a better experience and can recover in less time with fewer or no problems. The information in this handout will help to get you, your family and your home ready for surgery.
Thank you for allowing us to help with your care. We wish you a pleasant surgical
experience and a quick recovery.
Team Seema Eye Care
- You will receive a prescription for three (2) medicated eye drops and will use non preservative artificial tears as outlined in the drop schedule below.
- Hylo and i-drop non-preservative artificial tears are available at Seema Eye Care Centre
- When using two or more eye medications, always wait 5 minutes after instilling the first eye medication before instilling the next one.
- Only one drop from each bottle is required each time
- Please start the drops 2-3 hours after surgery and follow this eye drop medication schedule: :
- Use the chart below to track drops for the first month by filling in a circle every time you use a medication drop. Always wait 5 minutes after instilling the first medication before instilling the next one.
- For at Least 2 Weeks After your Operation:
- Avoid rubbing the eye and protect the eye from dust particles.
- If the bandage contact lens falls out, please call Seema Eye Care Centre. Depending on the post-operative day, your eye surgeon will decide whether it needs to be replaced or not
- Wear dark glasses to protect from bright light, as the eye may be sensitive.
- Do not squeeze or poke the eye with fingers or glasses (place your thumbs over the ends of your glasses, by your ears, when removing).
- Always wear a protective eye shield while sleeping. This will protect the eye from being rubbed or scratched in your sleep.
- Activity After Surgery:
- It is recommended to take 1-3 weeks off work/school (pending your recovery).
- No driving for 1 week.
- Hold all regular activities until 1 week after your surgery. If you have any questions regarding specific activities be sure to ask your doctor.
- Reading, writing, working on a computer and TV watching are permitted but only for very short periods (minutes). If you feel fatigue, pressure or strain in your eye, STOP the activity immediately and rest your eye.
- When taking a shower, avoid getting water directly into the operated eye.
- Air travel is allowed after 4 weeks; please consult with your surgeon before flying.
- Over the first 2-3 weeks you may feel as though something is in your eye or experience a scratchy sensation; this is a normal part of the healing process.
- You may have different visual sensations after surgery while the eye is healing. Vision may be blurry, variable and mildly sensitive to light. These changes are normal and usually decline over the 6-8 weeks after surgery.
- Warning Signs to be Aware of:
If at any time after the surgery you develop any of the following symptoms in the operated eye, contact Seema Eye Care Centre immediately at (403) 253-5300. DO NOT WAIT UNTIL YOUR NEXT APPOINTMENT.
- R = Significant, increasing redness with discomfort of the eye
- S = Increased sensitivity to light or tremendous photophobia or flashing lights
- V = Visual blurring that worsens significantly and becomes less clear
- P = Constant aching or pain in the eye (not just a moment of fleeting pain)
If this is an after-hours emergency (after 5:00 pm on weekdays or weekends), you may contact Health Link at 811 or seek immediate care at the nearest emergency department or dial 911. In the event that you are admitted to the hospital because of complications from the surgery, please contact Seema Eye Care Centre.
First Eye to be Operated on: ☐ RIGHT ☐ LEFT
Time: One Day Post-Op Follow-up:
One-Week post-op follow-up:
Second Eye to be Operated on: ☐ RIGHT ☐ LEFT
One Day Post-Op Follow-up:
One-Week Post-Op Follow-up:
Please be aware that there is a possibility that your surgical date may be moved or postponed in the event of an emergency surgery that requires your surgeons operating time. Please note that this is an infrequent occurrence and in the event that your surgery needs to be moved you will be contacted by Seema Eye Care Centre as soon as possible.
Note: Please be aware that there will be a charge of $50 for the Pentacam Topography at the 1 month, 3 months, 6months, and 1 year follow-up Visits. This test is used to follow your cornea’s shape and ensure it has stabilized completely.